Tuesday

Gift sets with Julie Elak!



Today's guest is the lovely Julie Elak of The Last Minute Crafter. She is a fabulous cardmaker and the queen of gift sets! She always makes a card/tag and a coordinating giftbox that is sure to put a huge smile on any recipient's face! :) She is sharing her tips for making these fabulous gift sets right here! Yay! Of course, there is a little challenge with a wonderful prize for a random participant! :)

Let's first drool at her gift set gallery shall we?





________________________________________________________


First off, I am so honored that Yvonne asked me to guest blog!  I started following Yvonne's blog when I saw some of her creations on Card Patterns.  I then visited her blog and discovered that she has a natural talent for creating the most wonderful scrapbook layouts.  She  has the ability to turn normal everyday events into fabulous memories.









Yvonne asked that I share some tips with you for using templates. I have so much fun creating quick gift sets, so of course I said yes.  I am also issuing a challenge to you.  Create a new non-card or layout project.  Ideally, create something using a template, but even a tag or altered item would be great.  Now I know templates can be intimidating, but so long as you have a printer, I think you can do it!!!  I am even going to sweeten the challenge by offering one random participant 3 templates from Perfect Presentation!

When I create a gift set, I usually start off by creating the card.  I find inspiration from sketches and patterned paper.  I usually pick a sketch and then figure out what stamps would work best with it.  Next, I choose patterned paper to go along with it.  Once I have the card finished, I use the same stamps and patterned paper to create a coordinating box.   I am a fan of gift cards, so I look for templates that are a good size to hold a gift card and a bit of candy.  Gift cards may be boring and thought of as the easy gift, but recipients seem to like them a lot!  By creating my own box I am adding a personal touch and a bit of fun.

There are so many templates out there - available both in PDF and versions for cutting machines.  Today I used a free pdf from Perfect Presentation - "Goody Box".  There are also freebies available on PTI and My Time Made Easy. - freebies are a great way to try out templates for the first time.


Tips for using templates:

1 - Print the template out on thick card stock to create a sturdy box.
2 - Set the print quality to "draft" so that the printed lines are not as noticeable when the template is put together. 
3 - If your printer will not work with thick card stock you can always print it out on copy paper, cut it out, and then trace it onto the card stock. 
4 - Try to cut just inside the line so it does not show in the end. 
5 - Use super sticky tape to put your project together and be sure that the tape is stuck on really good by running your finger over it several times (I use Therm-O-Web SuperTape but scor-tape is another popular one).
6 - Decorate by cutting mats out of PP, stamping directly on the template, embossing etc.  It is easier to decorate before you put the template together.
7 - After putting your template together, wait to add heavy contents until the next day...most tapes take 24 hours to cure.
8 - Yvonne has told me that I should think of a scrapbook layout as a big card - I want you to think of the template as a 3-D card. 
9 - Most importantly, have fun!!!
_____________________________________________________________

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to create a new non-card or layout project. It would be ideal if you used a template but any altered item will be accepted as well. The deadline for submission is Friday 8th October. Please link up your creations using  Inlinkz located at the end of this post. If it doesn't work, feel free to leave your links in the comments section. Looking forward to seeing your 3D creations! :)

As always, please leave a little love for my guest Julie! :)


Share/Bookmark



Pin It

13 comments:

adrienia said...

This gift set are just awesome . Thanks for sharing Julie :)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh WOW!!! Not only does she have one AWESOME NAME *wink*...but she is amazing too!! WOW WOW WOW!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee that set!!! GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

~amy~ said...

woot woot for Julie!!!!!! I've been a Julie Fan:) Fun Challenge!!!

LOL..just read Julie Tucker-Wolek's comment...silly woman

Anita Kejriwal said...

thats a lovely box Julie. All ur stuff is simply awesome!

Shalini said...

gorgeous creations Julie... love the way u have embellished each of them...

Spardha said...

Wow!.. love ur work! :)
will be participating for sure! :)

Karen B. said...

Ooh, Julie is a master at Gift Sets. I learn a lot from her and her posts! Can't wait to play, now off to get busy creating...

~amy~ said...

I hope that my Tea Folder qualifies:)

http://tsurutadesigns.blogspot.com/2010/09/hip-to-be-square.html

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Thanks again for having me :>)

Ujjwal said...

I haven't done an altered item before and I am so inspired. I hope I get the time and the idea to play along :D

Anita Kejriwal said...

Thanks alot for the challenges. They are fun to make and new to learn.

Shalini said...

Thanks Julie and Yvonne... had a rocking time in this one...

Sexier You said...

I love gift sets. This is so fabulous.

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking time to leave a comment. I really appreciate it. Have an awesome day!:)

Cheers, Yvonne.

>
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Pin It